DHEA for Alzheimer’s disease treatment


DHEA may be relevant in the treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. the relationship between DHEA and cortisol levels may prove to be a key in understanding what is causing Alzheimer’s and how to treat it.

In 1906 Alois Alzheimer was the first person who described Alzheimer’s disease for the first time and then it was named after his research and analyses. Alzheimer’s disease is often diagnosed by evidence of plaques and reduced brain size, although patients with this disease also have higher levels of cortisol and imbalanced cortisol/DHEA ratios, according to “Professional Guide to Diseases.”

DHEA and Alzheimer studies
According to a recently conducted medical science research in UK, It was discovered that people who are having low level of DHEA sulfate in their body are prone to have Alzheimer’s disease, so that shows that the lower or higher level of DHEA hormone in human body has a strong relation with brain disorder related health conditions like Alzheimer’s disease.

There are hundreds of researches being conducted on the subject of health benefits of DHEA supplements for Alzheimer’s disease because there have been cases and reports that shows that DHEA can be beneficial for Alzheimer’s disease in both men and women. However, this claim is not yet fully medically proven and more scientific evidence is required before any conclusion can be made.

DHEA And Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment
DHEA is considered a supplement which helps the brain to nourish itself for the production of new brain cells and it also improves the overall function of our brain as well.

The treatment of Alzheimer’s disease with DHEA supplements involves the increasing amyloid precursor protein which is the reason behind increased rate of brain cell production and which may be relevant in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.

Medical facts explains that 80% of the DHEA hormone production is originated from adrenal glands and the remaining 20% is completed in the brain. This also indicates a strong relationship between DHEA and the brain, which only strenghtens the relevance of DHEA when it comes to Alzheimers disease and the treatment for it.

DHEA supplements for Alzheimer’s disease
Studies looking into the effects of DHEA supplements on the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease have been inconclusive or have showed little change.

For example, looking at the first randomized, double-blind trial of DHEA for Alzheimer’s disease, published in a 2003 edition of “Neurology,” it concluded that six months of DHEA supplements had no effect on Alzheimer’s patients.

Almost 60 patients, given 100 mg of DHEA daily for six months, were tested for cognitive functioning and rated by physicians on any changes. DHEA did not significantly improve cognitive performance or ratings of disease severity. Some changes and improvements were noted, but when all data was added up, the summary did not conclude that DHEA could reverse the disease.

With so many individual factors and varieties in Alzheimers symptoms, one should always consider individual DHEA levels and also causal factors.

Other researchers believe that longer and larger studies are necessary to get a more precise picture of the DHEA/cortisol/alzheimers relationship.  Higher dosages of DHEA is also mentioned as a way to elaborate the study and test these findings further.

Because cortisol and DHEA is part of the HPA axis and includes the adrenal glands, it could also be relevant to look at the overall health of the adrenal glands in Alzheimer’s patients, and consider strengthening the adrenal glands as a way to balance the hormone balance in the body.

About the author  ⁄ admin

No Comments

Leave a Comment